THE BIBLE: GOD’S LIVING AND POWERFUL WORD
It should not be hard to understand why we want our church to always be a Bible-centered ministry. The Bible is God’s only written revelation to man. That’s why it’s called the Word of God. Therefore it is without error “from cover to cover.” Because this is fact, the Bible should be the only authority for everything a person believes and practices. What is true for a person must also be true for the church. A church’s teaching, methodology, music, programs, and practices should all be Bible-centered. Come and visit Harvest Hills Baptist Church, and… bring your Bible!
What does God say His Word will do for you if you will read it and listen when it is preached?
It will result in the salvation of your eternal soul.
- Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.”
- I Peter 1:23 “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”
It will give you assurance of your salvation after you’re saved.
- I John 5:13 “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”
It will produce spiritual growth in your life.
- I Peter 2:2 “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.”
It will keep you from yielding to temptation and committing sin.
- Psalm 119:9,11 “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word.” Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
- Ephesians 6:17 “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”
- I John 2:14 “…I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.”
- Matthew 4:1-11 “…It is written…it is written…it is written…”
- John 17:17 “Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth.”
It will direct you into God’s will in every area of your life.
- Ps. 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
- Ps. 119:130 “The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.”
- Ps. 37:23 and Ps. 119:133 “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord; and he delighteth in his way.” “Order my steps in thy word.”
It will help you get your prayers answered.
- John 15:7 “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”
- I John 5:14-15 “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us; and if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.” (Note: God’s will is revealed in His Word.)
It will give you joy in your life.
- John 15:11 “These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.”
- I John 1:4 “And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.”
It will encourage you to witness to others with boldness.
- Jer. 20:9 “Then said I, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.”
It will give you hope—when you need encouragement and comfort.
- Rom. 15:4 “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.”
It will keep you from accepting false doctrine.
- II Tim. 3:16-17 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”
- II Tim. 4:2-4 “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
Summary: It will bring you spiritual success.
- Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein; for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”
- Psalm 1:1-3 “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.”
- James 1:22-25 “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves…But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.”
Jesus said, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:1)